Thursday 16 April 2015

Roundton Hill NNR

Took a trip to Roundton MWT reserve last night. I arrived on site to find temperatures dropping into single figures and a sharp breeze. As I'm heading back to Oxford soon, I couldn't really afford to be picky with my nights. Expecting a species list barely into double figures I set up the six traps and waited for the sun to set.

Despite the cool conditions, plenty of moths were on the wing. Some of the nicest records were 11 White-marked, 9 Brindled Beauties, 2 Muslin Moth and a Chocolate-tip.

The night surpassed all expectations with a final species list of 31, half of these being new for the 10km square. Only slight disappointment was not getting Tawny Pinion at a site with such vast quantities of ash.

Photos and species list below:
Roundton 15/04/15

1 comment:

  1. Looks as though you had an excellent night - shame about the Tawny Pinion, but on the plus side, it's a long time since I've heard of so many Brindled Beauties from one evenigs trapping and of course, such numbers of this species have never been recorded in Montgomeryshire before - great work.

    Peter.

    ReplyDelete